My Etsy Fun

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Episode 7 - Notes from the Drama Club

First of all, I just want to thank everyone for all of their comments and for listening to my podcast. It just goes to my thory that knitters are just good people.

This week has actually found me absorbed in a whole new world of lace knitting. I really like it. As I have said, I have been a backward continental knitter for about 20 years, and for lace knitting, the purls have to be wrapped the "correct" way for the knit two togethers to run smoothly.

I am currently trying out my lace knitting using the pattern on page 100 of Victorian Lace Today and Mars Quake in Sock Merino from Lisa Souza.

Of course, this has given me the confidence to get some Sea Silk in Mermaid and two giant skiens 1250 yards long 50% Silk and 50% Merino, one in Keen from Chewy Spaghetti and one in Midnight Rainbow/Harlot's Peacock from Perchance to Knit.

None of these are done justice by their pictures! The varigation of color on the Keen (very peachy) and Harlot's Peacock are really gorgeous.

The Sea Silk really does live up to the hype. I know it sells out in a flash at the Loopy Ewe, but check out the selection at Tidal Brook Yarns. This is the perfect example of why I say knitters are good people. I bought from Tidal Brook and because I have trouble trusting eBay, I bought the insurance, it calculated it, and I payed with paypal. By the end of the day, I had a refund of the amount I had paid over what the insurance actually costs.

I am having such a good time knitting my lace, so I will keep you updated with pictures as much as possible. Of course it won't look like much until it's blocked, but you can get the gist.

As for the contest: Leave your ideas for what to do with all of the sock yarn I have in my stash that's not socks. Leave patterns, ideas, pictures etc, and of course there will be a prize to my favorite.

Music:

Lara St. John - Bach Allegro (intro as always) (magnatune)
The Laschivious Biddies - Odd Bird (podsafe)
David Ippolito - Bill O'Reilly and the Legend of the Big Giant Head (podsafe) (a little political, but still amusing!)








4 comments:

knitting2relax said...

Buy the yarn winder and swift. I hook mine to a railing, just find two stable things that can be somewhat apart. Not sure I'd try the glass table though. How about the edge of a counter?

ikkinlala said...

Sock yarn but not socks? My first thought is (as usual) mittens, but I'm a fan of mittens anyway.

I've also used sock yarn for baby clothes, and I've seen some lovely stuffed animals made from it (self-striping sock yarn can make a very interesting teddy bear) but unfortunately I don't have patterns for them.

knitting2relax said...

I am seriously thinking about making a pillow out of sock yarn - so soft, so squishy. Yum!

Denise said...

Use some of that sock yarn on a pair of Delicato mitts at knitspot.com. They have a lovely lace pattern of the back of the hand!